Monday, February 02, 2009

Fascinations...

Over the last few days it's become clear to me how much my fascinations influence my writing.
Two fascinations in particular really. Elements in personalities, and sensory experiences.

I've always believed, and maybe it's strange of me, that everyone's personality has one of the four elements dominant in it. Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. And beyond this, that each element is represented by some particular trait, or characteristic.
The strength, stability and balance of Earth. The logic and intellect of Air. The vitality, the life-force, and the passion of Fire. The intuition and vast emotionalism of Water.
I couldn't say where my fascination for this came from, but it's something I've thought of as far back as I can remember, and I find that I apply the same kind of thinking to my characters when I am defining their personalities.
Of course, I'm not saying that anyones personality is strictly one thing or the other. Most people do have a nice balance of two elements. Though there is the occasional person (like myself, for example... :p) who have an abundance of just one element.
Even more interesting, is that in my closest circle of friends, all 4 elements are definitively represented. The vibrancy and laughter, the wild power of Fire. The beauty and stability, the mighty strength of Earth. The knowledge and intellect, the logic of Air. The intuition, the emotionalism, the depth of Water.
There are 5 of us, but we compliment each other so well. We balance so beautifully.

I've always been fascinated by my senses, particularly touch and scent.
I can be enthralled by something soft and smooth under my fingertips, or by the touch of something rough. I have a lot of clothes that are pleasing to the touch, either because they're fuzzy, or silky, or just plain soft. And contrasts between textures seem to fascinate me even more.
And I know that they say scent is one of the most powerful of our senses, and I find that easy to believe. I can be swept away by scents. Into memory, sometimes. Or into imagination.
I think that this has always shown itself very prominently in my writing. I have always written very descriptively, very vividly. It just feels so natural to me to talk about the things that my characters see, taste, touch, hear, and smell, just as much as I talk about what they think, know and feel.
I think that what our senses experience becomes just as much a part of who we are as what our personalities are, so it doesn't make any sense to me to leave them out or belittle them in my writing.

I've actually been working on something new... As well as trying to work on my other story. I don't have much down yet, but once I do, I'll post a little here for you all to read.

No comments: