Friday, January 30, 2009

Reading and writing

I've been reading Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon over the past week or so. I'm planning on reading The Once and Future King by T.H. White next. And at some point I need to get my hands on a copy of Malory's Morte de Arthur and read that too.
It's interesting to read the same story from so many different perspectives. Especially from the perspective of the women, like in The Mists of Avalon.

But that's not really what I wanted to write about tonight. I wanted to write about what really makes a writer.

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time... More and more as I've struggled with my writing.
What really makes someone a writer?
Is is talent? Is it ideas?
Honestly, I don't think it's either of those things... Specifically, I think that it's one thing in particular.
It's the soul that makes a writer.
A true writer isn't made by talent, or ideas, or even how much they write. I believe that a true writer has words in their soul. That's how they see the world, through words. Almost as though they live in a great story.
I wish I could explain it better, but my problem has always been that the words get stuck on their travels between my soul and my fingers.

And voice...
I've been told that I have a strong voice in my writing. Sometimes that's been a bad thing... Like essays in school for example! *chuckles* Teachers and professors don't like to hear the writers voice in position papers!
But in my own writing... I wonder. A few things.
Do I really have as definitive a voice in my writing? And if I do, is it a detriment to my story? Does my inexperience and naiveity come across as contrary to the story I'm trying to tell?

I must beg your pardon... I know that this post has been a lot of rambling, nothing really important, but it's things that've been on my mind lately.
Especially what makes a writer... If I can organize my thoughts on that a bit better, I may touch on that subject again someday.

No comments: